Pages


Racing has become a very important part of my life. It takes a lot of dedication and a lot of focus but results in a real sense of accomplishment and puts me in great shape. Sharing this information helps keep my mind in the game and lets you read about my experiences :)
~Kris



Friday, September 11, 2009

Pre-Race #2

So yesterday we walked around the expo and the merchandise area to see what was available. The expo isn't super huge but of course there are plenty of expensive bikes to drool over.

Part of the expo was pretty much right at where the finish line will be
Took a quick picture from the bridge that spectators can be on that overlooks the bike staging area. ONLY the bikes stay here. All of our other gear is put into bags and into separate transition rooms inside the building. Considering the distance to get up to this area, through the rooms, change, back out and too the bikes....I can see why T1 and T2 times can get to be 10-15 minutes even if you kind of hurry.
With my low number, I am actually racked all the way at the other end of the transition area from where you enter after the swim. I'm actually kind of excited about that because it means I don't have to run more than a few feet holding my bike. Mount area is right behind where the short pillars are behind me in this picture. The pillars won't be there tomorrow :) This morning we got up a little early to go to the swim start and get in a short swim. For me it was more about getting in the water and finding my sighting points since my plan is to stay outside the buoys and hopefully not get too caught up in the bottlenecks going around the first two corners.
This afternoon I turned in my bike and my T1 and T2 gear bags. This is a picture of where I run through to grab my swim to bike bag. Which, by rule, contains not only my change of clothes but my shoes and helmet and race belt.Janus had an area for spectators to make signs. Mark made me an awesome sign :D Janus actually takes theses out on a dead spot (spectator-wise) of the run course and sticks them all in the ground in what they call "Inspiration Mile"

I think I'm ready for tomorrow. About as much as I can be I guess. Nothing I can do now except try to relax, eat, drink water, eat and mentally prepare myself for a very long day. I also found that Mark has the same problem I do. Doesn't matter what event I am at, big or small, if I'm not actually participating.....I'm kind of bummed out. It's an interesting dynamic dating another athlete and for me, it is a serious blessing to have someone who understands racing, training, cheering, etc. We also understand that no matter how excited we are to be there and cheer on each other at races, we are still always going to be a little jealous that we aren't also participating. I've had this conversation with quite a few of my other athlete friends so I think it's pretty common to feel this way. (Feel free to chime in with comments if you are reading this.) I will do Ironman tomorrow but if I went to watch a marathon next weekend, part of me would want to be out there.

For now, it's trying to keep myself calm and get through tomorrow. Then the focus changes to rehabing myself for our TC10-mile run and then Mark's big day at NYC Marathon.

1 comment:

Steve Stenzel said...

I'd say you were ready!....

Heeling up OK?! That TC 10 Mile is just around the corner!