Pages


Racing has become a very important part of my life. It takes a lot of dedication and a lot of focus but results in a real sense of accomplishment and puts me in great shape. Sharing this information helps keep my mind in the game and lets you read about my experiences :)
~Kris



Sunday, May 30, 2010

Gear West Duathlon and lots of updates!

Geocaching update:
Last weekend we went to the spring MnGCA event and had a really great time.  For more detailed information on our adventures in Nerstrand Park, check out my post about it on our "Life More Complete" blog.  Below is a fun picture of Stage One of a LONG 3 stage multi you'll have to read about.

Wedding Update:
Again, more info on our "A Life More Complete" blog post but what I can add here is that we have been concentrating on decoration ideas.  We found that since we are both a touch creatively-impaired, it seems to help if we page through wedding magazines and play off what we see in pictures.  Latest ideas, there will be mile-marker type signs involved in our walkway to the main reception that will showcase some fun pictures of us.

Financial Update:
Yuck, yuck and more yuck.   Still struggling more than we would like on this front.  Fortunately we just got through the garage sale and managed to make just under $800 at that but the unfortunate part is that a few days ago my air conditioner at my townhouse went on the fritz and will need to be looked at next week.  (Weekend calls start at $200 so we decided to stick out the warm days and give the cats extra cold water)  We're hopeful that it's just in need of freon but due to the weird noise it's also making there is worry that it's a problem with the compressor.   Best I have heard is a minimum of $1200.   The universe doesn't seem to want to give me a break.   So if you could all send some luck my way I'd appreciate it.

Racing update:
Last weekend we had the Gear West Duathlon.   Weather was great!  We weren't going to "race" by any means but basically make it a great training and then hopefully win at the raffle.   Mark's brother was also racing and we found a few other friends by the start line so everything was starting ok.  The first run leg I held back a bit and paced with a friend of mine Sarah.   I rarely run into her so it was nice to get to catch up a bit.  After about half way through I pulled ahead to run a little faster and came into the T1 feeling pretty good.  Here's me getting out onto the bike.  I look happy....this will soon change....


I settled into a comfortable pace.  Nothing too hard, just a comfortable ride and pressed up the hill that was somewhere around 6 and began the downhill after the turn.  All of a sudden it felt like my left foot came unclipped so I tried to readjust.  Something felt odd and I looked down to see my entire left crank arm attached to my shoe and NOT my bike.   Long story short I spent a long time pulled over until a gear guy came by and helped me fix it as best as possible.  Neither he nor I had the right size wrench to fully tighten things back together so I just had to soft pedal on my left foot the remaining 12 miles.   It came off 2 more times and I ended up stopped quite often to tighten it up best I could.   

Now those of you that have been reading since last summer know I have a bit of "history" with biking.  Psychologically this little incident took a major toll on me.  I rolled into T1 so far behind I could hear them talking about where the final biker was behind me.   I got off my bike and fell into a panic attack.  Mark was already done and when he saw me in transition and thought I had a fast time, I began to freak out even more as I just got mad and told him I hadn't started my second run yet, I was no where near done.   The "pissed-ness" was radiating out of me and I couldn't calm down enough to breathe normally and had to give in to walking a few times.   I was emotionally beat up.   I began to think about all the issues I had last summer and how this was the first race on my NEW bike since Ironman (and we all know how well that went) and this is the NEW bike that I paid a lot of money for.   How could I still be having bike problems?  What the hell?!?!

My wonderful friends all spent a few minutes consoling me after I crossed the finish line.  That was where I couldn't hold it in any more and just broke down.  It shouldn't have been that big of a deal but I think due to all the problems I had last year, having another major problem was detrimental to my mental state which took me physically out of the field.  Mark being the wonderful supporter he is helped me walk it off and remember that life will go on :-P  Below is a picture we took while waiting for the awards and prize drawings. 

Training Update;
Everything is still pretty much focused on the 5k time for the Irvin 5k.   Although we are starting to get a little worried about how warm it might be since it's an evening race.  We've been back in the pool now at least once a week and last week actually made it twice!   I keep forgetting we have a sprint tri coming up in two weeks so we're looking to find a few nights to get back into the lake too.  Tomorrow a friend of ours is having a Memorial Day Tri BBQ where we will get in a group run and a group lake swim so we'll see how that goes.  Funny how every summer it takes a few times in the lake to really get used to it again.

Other Update:
We got out on our mountain bikes today for our first real mountain bike ride.  It was my first true mountain bike ride and I found out that my instincts are that the bike will react like my road bike which is very much NOT the case.   It will take a bit for me to learn how the bike manages certain types of terrain and how to tackle different obstacles on the track but I enjoyed the ride.   It's so much fun to be off road and get to see a lot of areas you would normally never go.   

Ciao for now ;)

No comments: