Pages


Racing has become a very important part of my life. It takes a lot of dedication and a lot of focus but results in a real sense of accomplishment and puts me in great shape. Sharing this information helps keep my mind in the game and lets you read about my experiences :)
~Kris



Wednesday, November 24, 2010

ONE disabling injury and 15 pounds ago....

(no idea how I came up with that title so just go with it.....)

Again I have gone much too long since I've posted anything so a quick recap to get you caught up.  Weight loss has been going pretty good.  Kind of hitting another plateau lately at 140-141 but that means I'm down 15 lbs from the beginning of the year.  I feel so much better about that!!

As for training.......below is a picture from the Monster Dash 10-mile (Oct 30th)


And here is a picture of our backyard, two weeks later, Saturday Nov 13th

So how do you think my past few weeks of training have been going.   Shitty, shitty....  1) because of the slippery, snowy trail conditions and 2) because my IT band has been giving me serious trouble, especially when slipping or trudging through snow.  

Mark has been amazing trying to keep me from freaking out but.....I'm still freaking out.   About 6 weeks ago I started having IT troubles when we would run past 15 or so miles.   Due to the major snowfall two weeks ago when we were supposed to do our second 20 miler, we did 10 miles in the snow (MISERABLE!!) and my IT was pretty tight by the end.   We drove home to do the second 10 miles at home where the trails were better but I didn't even make it 2 miles before I had to stop.  My IT was locked up and it felt like there was a knife shoved in behind my knee cap.  (^$}{!$&*}**&%#$*(%*!!!!!)

I've been taping, stretching, rolling, Adviling and havent run more than like 5 miles in two weeks.  Yesterday we went out for a 12 and I thought everything was feeling pretty good.   But again, mile 5 my IT started to freak out.   Inside my head I was just pissed but we continued the 12 miles, stopping about every mile for a very quick stretch since it was really cold out and we didn't want to cool down.  

And now this morning my entire IT band is on fire.   Treatment....no running until Vegas :( :( :(   I really think it's the only way I can get through it successfully.   I don't want to further injure myself and I have done enough training that I have the endurance.   I'm just so frustrated that I was on pace to give Mark and myself new marathon PRs for our wedding before we start the tough training for Boston Qualifying.   Our long runs have been averaging 9:20-9:25min/mi.   

I don't want to hobble through my wedding so it's off running until Vegas.   I'm a runner, take away the run in me and I'm miserable but I know it's the smart thing to do.   It's potentially going to cause me to slow my overall pace and probably struggle a bit more through the last few miles but I'm counting on adrenaline to carry me though and the ultimate goal for me is to successfully finish my first marathon as Mrs. Kuhn, hand in hand with my husband, and celebrate our new life together (not on crutches ;)

SO IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS SUGGESTIONS ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD DO FOR MY IT BAND BETWEEN NOW AND THE RACE, PLEASE POST A COMMENT.


4 comments:

Kirsten said...

Have you talked to a physical therapist? I had some issues with my IT band a few years ago, and my PT really helped me with it!

Harold said...

I agree w/ Kirsten. While not running till LV, might help, a PT can possibly give you some advice that could accelerate the healing. Don't try to play DR. and heal thy thyself. Not Wise.
When I've had injuries or just plain muscle pains I take 800 mg of Ibuprofen. I've had at least 3 doctors say that you can take 800 mg three times/day w/ no problems. Ibuprofen reduces inflammation AND there is no harm to the liver or kidney - I researched this myth several years ago. HK

Thomas Kennedy said...

No advice on the IT band issue, but just wanted to applaud you for working on the weight loss thing. Stay focused on it and you will achieve your goals!

T said...

no advice (the only thing i've done is foam roll and it's worked pretty well ... but obviously that's not working right now), but boooo. :(