Pages


Racing has become a very important part of my life. It takes a lot of dedication and a lot of focus but results in a real sense of accomplishment and puts me in great shape. Sharing this information helps keep my mind in the game and lets you read about my experiences :)
~Kris



Thursday, February 4, 2010

Week 2 Update - And Multisport Expo / InStep 5k

So first thing yesterday morning we did our check on how the weight loss is going. I was excited to see a drop of 4 pounds after only losing 1 last week. Mark was quick to say "I told you so" since he's been telling me since last week that I would surely see a change. Yes honey, you were right and I feel better now actually seeing the change :) Looks like he and I might be flip flopping weeks. He loses more one week, I lose more the next. Works for me as long as there IS a loss of something.

Plus I've been feeling much better physically. The first week to 10 days was torturous on my physical and mental energy. I had stomach pains and just felt like not moving, I was OUT of energy. But the past few days I've been feeling much better. I think my body is finally in a rhythm with my new eating habits. (excluding Sunday when driving home after the 5k race in the morning and a full afternoon of caching I thought my body was going to shut down I felt so crappy and hungry!) It dawned on me today that what I'm eating during the day too has taken a drastic change for the better. Before, my foods were WAY excessive in calories and carbs. Today I looked down at what I packed for food and was pleased to know I was happy bringing an apple, clementine, raspberry yogurt with pomegranate seeds and a little leftover cornbread stuffing to get me through the day.

So back to recap this weekend.....

Mark and I were extremely impressed by the Multisport Expo we attended in Milwaukee this past weekend. Below are a bunch of pictures of what they all had going on. There were a lot of high profile vendors, great speakers and fun activities. I even ran into a couple of the Midwest USAT council members that had booths there and we all agreed it's crazy that USAT didn't have a presence there. I got to meet the Event Director, Hank, to briefly discuss online registration but I also connected with him that I would hopefully be able to bring USAT to this expo next year and spread the word to Twin Cities clubs about this event and the bike time trials. To be at something like this and NOT see Gear West red everywhere was just odd :-P I promised to pass the word along to Kevin at GW.
Here are some pics from the Expo

A view of some of the booths

The endless pool available to try
The portable showers :)
Team Bike Time Trials

Saturday night we took it easy. Mark picked up take out from TGI Fridays and a bottle of wine. We did some geocaching queries and then relaxed in the spa tub for quite awhile. It's so rare we get a relaxing evening since we spend a lot of time driving back and forth to care for his dogs and my kitties.

The next morning we got up to run the Instep 5k going on at the Expo.


Super cute puppy that ran the course

There were a few hundred runners there and it was a great course. Through the WI State Fair Park and around the Milwaukee Mile Race Track.

Here's me passing the Cattle Barn

Nearly perfectly flat so it was a perfect benchmark race to log for the beginning of my season. I didn't push hard but I didn't slow up either. Mark, as always, encouraged me along and I'm sure contributed to me being faster than I would have by myself. I was very content knowing I can mark the start of my run season with a 5k time of 27:20 (8:48 min/mile) and an avg HR of 179. Feeling like my 7:30 min/mile pace is actually reachable by mid-June although I know it's going to be a tough road to shave off 4 minutes.
Post race with my cup of pretzels
Here we are in front of the main park sign

After the race, we spent the afternoon geocaching through the area before heading home mid-afternoon. We will get the write up of the fun caches we picked up on our "A Life More Complete" blog soon.

Other updates - I've been going to Beginning Jazz dance classes at Zenon on Tuesday nights and that has been a lot of fun. I really miss dance. Although I have found I still suck at double turns :-P

We have Core/Speed with ALARC tonight which has proven to be a great addition to our weekly workouts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about the ubiquitousness of technology in our daily lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further advances, the possibility of transferring our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about all the time.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.blog.com/2010/01/31/will-the-r4-or-r4i-work/]R4 SDHC[/url] DS FFOpera)